Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Auslan apps

I have the RIDBC auslan app on my phone, it is handy when I am at kinder an nore sure of a sign, I can double check on my phone. ( and it is a big bonus that the app is available on both android and apple devices!)
 I don't use the internet on my phone, so I love that I can download the app and use it whenever  I needstraight from the phone, without being on the net and chewing through data!  It is a good basic list of signs, and searchable by word, or with categories such as "colour" or "animals", although there could be a few more "kid friendly" words on there (note for app developers - maybe look at something like the Oxford words list - which is based on words most used by children when writing, or look at some of the words most used in kinders - in terms of stories/songs/nursery rhymes/toys and play activities etc.
There is a brand new app - only on itunes so far unfortunately - from Conexu called "open access face to face" - which is a free app, for learning auslan, and can be used across 2 ipads - the hearing/non signing person can type in a word or phrase, which is then translated into auslan, which can in turn be sent to another phone/ipad and shown in auslan. The app is used at the VCD Tradeblock cafe for hearing customers to order coffee etc from the deaf staff/trainees. I have just read about the app in an email this morning, and have not had a chance to try it out, my phone is android and my ipad is too old! - I will put it onto a work ipad later and try it out, although according to the reviews it takes some hours to download. Has anyone else  tried this app yet?

 
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment